Fungicide application in corn can help prevent disease and promote plant health which can result in increased yield potential.
The objective of this trial was to determine the yield effect of Delaro® 325 SC fungicide application on thirty corn products.
RESEARCH SITE DETAILS
|Soil Type||Hord silt loam|
|Seeding Rate |
- This study was setup up as a split-plot design with four replications.
- Fungicide application was the whole plot and corn product was the sub-plot (10-ft wide and 20-ft long).
- Delaro® 325 SC fungicide was applied at 8 oz/acre at the VT growth stage, and no fungicides were applied to the untreated checks. Application occurred on 7/26/2020.
- Thirty corn products with a range of relative maturity (RM) from 101 to 120 RM were used in this trial.
- Fertilizer applications included:
- 4/16/2020- 70 lb phosphorus/acre, 15 lb sulfur(S)/acre, and 27.5 lb nitrogen (N)/acre applied with strip tillage,
- 4/28/2020- 100 lb N/acre applied with a stream bar, 6/26/2020- 90 lb N/acre and 15 lb S/acre applied with 360 Y-DROP® applicators.
- Weeds were controlled with herbicides and no other pesticides were applied other than the Delaro 325 SC fungicide treatment.
- Test weight, moisture, and total shelled weight were collected to calculate yield.
- Yield was corrected to a standard of 15% moisture content.
- Precipitation late in the season was minimal (0.51 inch in August and 0.5 inch in September) which resulted in unfavorable conditions for disease development.
UNDERSTANDING THE RESULTS
- At this location, the corn products treated with the Delaro® 325 SC fungicide application had a significantly greater average yield than corn products that did not receive an application.
For this trial, fungicide application increased the average yield by 3.4 bu/acre across all corn products in a low disease environment. A fungicide application can help prevent disease and potentially reduce yield loss compared to untreated crops.
Farmers should work with their local Bayer sales team member to decide if a fungicide application of Delaro® 325 SC fungicide could be beneficial to their corn production acres.